Google Groups allows for archiving and management of mailing lists, and provides services for communication and collaboration with Group members.
Groups also offers generous storage limits and unique group management options.
Specific features include:
- Directory Listing of Groups: Group managers can determine if a Group is private, or listed publicly within Boise State.
- Group Role Management: Group managers can moderate messages, specify to whom replies are sent, activate a Group’s discussion archive, and allow people outside Boise State to send messages to their Groups.
- Membership Management: Members can easily manage their Group memberships. For example, they can choose the type of subscription they want, including full email, abridged email, digest email, or no email. Members can also unsubscribe from any Group.
- Discussion Archives: All messages sent to a group can be archived on a Discussion page, so members always have quick access to important past communications. Members can also post messages directly on the Discussion page.
- Group and Message Search: You can quickly find existing public groups to join, and view public discussion archives. Group members can search for specific messages across all public Groups.
This implementation of Google Groups for Google Apps for Education works best with Google Sites and Google Docs to replicate the “Pages” and file-upload features found in the consumer version of Google Groups.
How to Use Google Groups
Google Groups can be accessed by choosing Groups at the top-left of the screen after you log in to Google Apps. Then, on the Groups page, click Sign-in at top-right.
Getting Started with Google Groups
Google Groups Core Concepts
- Google Groups Basics
- Google Groups Navigation
- Customize Google Groups Settings
- Mitigate Spam within Google Groups (BroncoBytes)
- Advanced Group Management
- Posting to a Group
- Searching for a Group
- About Your Google Groups Profile
- Google Groups Help Center
Of course, the OIT Help Desk is available for any questions you may have about Google Groups. We’re open 7:00 am – 10:00 pm Monday – Thursday, and 7:00 am – 6:00 pm Friday. Contact us at 426-4357, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Back to Google Apps]