For the most part we’ve moved beyond the need to constantly connect our phones and tablets to a computer to back up our data. There are several options available to ensure iOS and Android devices are wirelessly backed up, but you may not be taking advantage of these services.
Since devices are usually updated over the air, you may find yourself in trouble if the update goes awry and you don’t have a recent backup available to help you recover your data.
Also, Apple is soon releasing a significant update for iOS 10. Version 10.3 will introduce a new file system, APFS. While there have been no reports of beta testers having difficulty with or losing data due to this new file system change, it is highly recommended you back up your device(s) before updating (Apple will also warn you to back up your data before the update begins).
Here’s info backup options for both iOS and Android devices:
Automatic Wireless Backups
- Launch Settings, then tap iCloud > Backup
- Connect your device to a power source (if possible)
- Connect to a wi-fi network
- Check to be sure you have enough available space in iCloud for the backup (if not, 50 GB of storage space is only .99 per month)
Manual Wireless Backups
- Launch Settings, then tap iCloud
- Select Backup, and make sure “iCloud Backup” is on
- Tap Back Up Now (be sure to stay connected to your wireless network until the process completes
- Open iTunes, and connect your device to your computer
- Select your device within iTunes
- Click Back Up Now
- Use the Android Backup Service:
- Launch the Settings app on your Android device
- Under “Personal,” tap Backup & reset
- Tap Back up my data and switch it on
- Connect your Android device to your computer with a USB cable
- On the Android device, pull down the main menu and select USB Connection
- Choose USB Mass Storage and tap OK
- On your computer, you’ll see a new drive or “Removable Disk” on your computer. Open the drive and copy all the contents to a folder on your computer.
Contact the Help Desk at (208) 426-4357, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.