Get Ready for Local 10-Digit Dialing
Due to Idaho’s new 986 area code, 10-digit dialing will be required for local phone calls beginning Saturday, August 5, 2017.
Local phone calls will no longer work correctly if you only dial seven digits. You must use the appropriate 208 or 986 Idaho area code before your local call is connected.
All of Boise State’s telephone systems configured with automatic dialing must be updated to use the new 10-digit local calling. Examples include fax machines, alarm systems, life safety equipment, and security systems.
In addition, University phone numbers listed on campus websites, business cards, letterhead, and marketing materials should be updated to include the area code.
New telephone lines may be assigned with the 986 area code after September 5, 2017.
Here’s What Stays the Same
- On-campus calls to University phone numbers using 5-digit extensions (e.g., 6-4357) will not change.
- Your existing telephone number and area code will not change.
- A local call will remain local when using the 10-digit number.
- Dialing “1+area code” for a long distance call is still required.
- 911 or 8911 calls remain the same.
For questions or additional information about the 10-digit dialing change coming August 5, contact the Help Desk at (208) 426-4357, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.