Google Sites is an easy way to create websites for teams, projects, and internal-facing Boise State resources.
The new Sites features improved integrations with G Suite (Google Apps), allowing easy schedule embeds from Google Calendar, files from Google Drive, or locations from Google Maps.
Multiple people can collaborate on a Site in real-time, just like with Google Docs. You can manage site permissions to restrict viewership to people with @boisestate.edu or @u.boisestate.edu accounts, or specific individuals or groups (see additional domain sharing information under “Common Issues” below).
Content on the screen is arranged via drag-and-drop, so no web experience is necessary.
Old Google Sites vs. New Google SitesAt this time, there is no feature available to convert a legacy Google Site to a new Site, or copy content from legacy Site pages.
Access New Google Sites
Access Google Sites by logging into BroncoMail or G Suite through myBoiseState, then browsing to Google Drive:
Access Legacy Google Sites
Legacy, or “classic” Google Sites, are accessed through the G Suite (Google Apps) menu:
How to Use
Complete information on how to learn and use Google Sites is available at the G Suite Learning Center.
For questions about using Google Sites, contact the Help Desk at 208-426-4357, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty and staff use the boisestate.edu G Suite domain
- Students use the u.boisestate.edu G Suite domain
Sharing Between Domains – New Google Sites
As of November 2016, access to view new Google Sites is only available to a single domain, or to anyone on the web.
In other words, you can’t create a new Google Site using an @boisestate.edu account and share it so it can only be viewed by @boisestate.edu and @u.boisestate.edu accounts – it can only be viewed by a single domain (e.g., @boisestate.edu), or everyone.
How to Share a Site Between Domains – Legacy Google Sites
- Create a new Site, or open a Site you’ve already created.
- Click More Actions > Share this Site at the upper-right of the screen.
- Add one or more email addresses, and choose what rights you want to grant for owners, collaborators and/or viewers.
- Invite your owners, collaborators and/or viewers via email. The invitees will receive an email message explaining they have been grated access to a Google Site. The email will contain a link to the shared Site. The invitee can click on the link, which will prompt the invitee to log in to Google Apps if necessary.
- The invitee/recipient you are sharing your Site with must log in to BroncoMail/G Suite before the next step.
- A window will be presented similar to the following:
- The invitee will need to click “Sign in with a different account” and sign in using full email address (e.g., email@example.com) and password.
- The invitee now has access to the shared Site.
- If the invitee has problems accessing the Site, repeat the above steps; return to BroncoMail/G Suite and click on the email link, then once again choose “Sign in with a different account.” If there are further questions, please contact the Help Desk.