The Boise State University Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides security when connecting to unknown networks like airports, hotels or coffee shops, and remote access to specific University networks and systems like network drives so you can work remotely as if you’re on campus.
Reminder!When using VPN, you are subject to the University’s Remote Access policy. To review the policy, see the Boise State University Policy Manual, Section VIII, Policy #8130.
Faculty & Staff
Boise State VPN software (CISCO AnyConnect) is provided free of charge to faculty and staff.
Students can download and use their own VPN service such as the free CyberGhost VPN.
VPN System Requirements
Supported computer operating systems:
- Windows 7*, 8, 8.1, 10
- Windows Vista* (clean install, not upgraded from Windows XP)
- Windows XP* (requires Service Pack 2)
- macOS 10.12-10.13, Mac OS X 10.6 – 10.11
* Windows XP, Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 require proof of valid license.
Download and Install the Boise State VPN Software
- Contact the Help Desk to set up your VPN account or to determine if you already have a VPN account.
- Download the VPN software.
If you’re on campus, download the VPN software using this link.
If you’re off campus, download the VPN software using this link.
- Login to the Boise State VPN service using your Boise State account. If you cannot login, your VPN account may not be set up. Contact the Help Desk for assistance.
- Click the AnyConnect link.
- Click the Start AnyConnect link.
- The Boise State VPN software (CISCO AnyConnect) will install and connect your computer securely to the Boise State network.
- If the automatic installation fails, click the Windows Desktop or Mac OS X 10.6+ link to download and install the VPN software manually.
How to Use the Boise State VPN Software
Once you have the VPN software (CISCO AnyConnect) installed, here’s how to work securely and connect to the Boise State network.
- Connect to the Internet via wi-fi or cable like you always do. If you’re traveling, you’ll likely be connecting to an airport, hotel, coffee shop, etc. network.
- Start the CISCO AnyConnect software.
Windows: Start > All Programs > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
Mac: Finder > Applications > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- Enter either the on-campus VPN address or the off-campus VPN address, depending on your location:
On-campus VPN address: bsuvpn-oncampus.boisestate.edu
Off-campus VPN address: bsuvpn-offcampus.boisestate.edu
- Log in with your Boise State username and password.
For questions about VPN services, contact the Help Desk at 208-426-4357, or email email@example.com.